Skip to main content

20 Years Before - 1988

When I had attended a course for GW BASIC. I already had a computer at home, and it was called the ZX Spectrum with, wait for it, 48k memory. Before formally learning the BASIC, I had restricted myself to a few prints and beeps and meticulously typing out program listings off computer books which eventually resulted in a star walled winding road with a car in the middle. The beeps always allowed you to specify the frequency and duration to compose a simple tune of your own.

The I/O was innovative with the ability to use standard audio cassette tapes to record your programs and load it back. Hmmm. The good old sequential storage medium. And mostly, I was using it for playing games. There was one called DLAN, a space simulator which I had spent countless hours trying to save the Earth and solar system from menacing alien fighters which featured a 3D environment along with a full solar system map, portholes and docking to a planet to refuel and carry out simple maintenance activities.

Later, I upgraded to a 128k machine with only one game that utilized the full memory which required to tap two keys as soon as possible to increase the power for some athletic activities like a 100 meter sprint or a tug-of-war against the computer counter part.

Bah, now a days, each game occupies more that a GB of disk and memory and provides the same level of experience.

The 128k also gave me an opportunity to learn about machine code language where I had to painstakingly type out hex byte-codes which resulted in a simple editor to allow you to directly program your computer using machine code. That was the time when I learned about machine instructions like move or registers.

We have come a long way until then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battle of Wesnoth Been on the lookout for a free turn based strategy game and chanced upon the Battle of Wesnoth . Despite it being an open source game (meaning, you get the source), it was incredibly polished akin to any of the other turn based strategy game (Alpha Centauri), be it the background score or the graphics or the tutorials. The game itself is set in a period similar to the D&D or nethack era. For the film buffs, if you have read or seen the Lord of the Rings, you would probably be able to relate to the clans that populate the game world. The game play, as with any turn based strategy game requires background information on each of the units that you own, their strengths and weaknesses and a lot of planning (a kin to chess, but with a lot more parameters) where factors like day - night cycles are taken into account (e.g, humans fight well during the day, but the orcs are better during the night). It is encouraged to keep your older units as they gain experience and beco
Helmet and seat-belt mandated at TN Today morning, I was pleasantly surprised to see most bikers (along with pillion riders) traveling with their helmets on as TN geared itself from the 1st of June to make it mandatory to wear helmets for bikers and seat belts (for the front seat passengers) for car commuters. The FM radio RJs had been conducting on-the-road commentaries, catching helmet-less riders seeking justification on why they had not yet acquired one (the helmet) yet. The shamed few who got caught eventually were presented with a helmet. One the way (near Tirumangalam), I couldn't help notice people flocking near put-up helmet shops on the sidewalks, trying to acquire the license to ride a bike! Let's hope the momentum carries on...

R programming

Of late, I have been following up with data analytics and learnt R and Pandas (using Python). Somehow, most of the work that I now do is crunching data and representing them in a more fancier way. In a lighter vein, when I am at home, I try to see how my non-work data can be represented as charts and graphs. Here is the first attempt to categorize the list of programmers editors that I had used throughout my life time... This was generated using R and ggplot (ggplot is a great library that allows you to generate different types of charts). Why not excel? Sure, I can do the same in excel as well. But once the data becomes huge to manage, it becomes difficult to monitor each of the cells to see if the formula is right. Sometimes, they get complicated enough that I have to wait for a few seconds every time I make a change in a cell or consider turning off auto-calculation in excel. It is much more simpler to have the processing logic as a source file that you can modify separated from t